Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Heroes Beware




In the movie Bottle Rocket, Luke Wilson's character after they knock off a book store said "well I'll tell you one thing I actually learned is, crime doesn't pay". I think that I've learned in my life being a hero pays even less. I did grow up like every other boy, admiring firemen. I was a Boy scout until they asked me not to come anymore. I would read story's on the back page of the scouting magazine Boys' Life which was always reserved for a Boy Scout who saved someone or did some other heroic deed. I dreamt of an opportunity to get that kind of fame. Well I did get my opportunity and then some, but fame turned out to be a fickle mistress. More like a kick in the crotch . Here are some examples of what I mean.
One day, while minding my own business and playing a sweet game of NBA JAMS I was was interrupted by a neighbors screaming. I went outside and could decipher her panicked screeches saying "My house is on fire". So i calmly walked around back grabbed her garden hose and doused the flames. I told her it's not on fire anymore and returned
to my game. When the fire truck arrived, I was informed that they were looking for me. I practiced my" Ah shucks it was nothin boys" speech on the way back over. that would be in vain because when I arrived at the house the only thank you I got was a "that was very foolish" Luckily another neighbor of mine Phil Musumeci was there to announce to the gathered crowd in his fine Italian accent "Don't listen to them, He's a G'damn hero!"
Another example was when I was swimming in the pacific ocean with a cousin. the current
was taking him further and further out. It was difficult for me as well and I realized that we were about to be screwed. I knew I could get back to shore but my strength was going fast trying to swim while pushing my cousin in the the waves. I made a decision that we would both make it back or we would both drown and so I continued to throw my cousin with every wave and yell "now swim!" Luckily my aunt was on the beach and flagged down some surfers to help us. Upon arriving back to the rest of the group my aunt started crying and my grandmother, thinking it was because of something I did (in her defense she was very ill) told me she would rip my balls off. Just hearing you're grandma say balls is traumatizing, much less the thought of castration by her hands.
I once stopped to help a stalled car by pushing it through an underpass. I apparently forgot to stretch properly and my knee cap dislocated, which with other factors started a decline of my knee and led to my knee looking and feeling the equivalent to an eighty year old mans knee.
I had to preform the Heimlich on a guy at work and was actually rewarded for that one with employee of the month only to have a co-worker corner me and
tell me I got it because the boss is biased and since then she has been relentlessly complaining about my poor work ethic.
I also had the audacity to call the cops on a man beating his wife. My fine reward for that, being late to football practice so I had to do 400 push-ups. And as a bonus the cops told the guy who called so he was looking to beat me now.
My latest act however has not bitten me yet. I ran down and cornered a man who was running from the police. It was a female officer and i felt bad that dude was about 300yards in front of her, so I joined in and caught him and told him the lady wanted to talk to him. When the officer finally caught up to us, about three minutes later she pulled her gun on dude and yelled for him to get on his knees and I, learning from previous mistakes took the opportunity to fly out of there like I did when they handed me my high school diploma. I was half way home before they even realized i was involved. All I could think is thank yous be damned. Nothing bad happened And that was Joy.
I'm told that I'll get my reward in heaven, but I want it now, in cold hard cash. I guess it doesn't matter because if I keep helping people with my luck I'll be seeing that heavenly reward sooner than later.

A note of warning:In all of my blogging time I have always enjoyed comments and have never erased any, but I will here on this post if anybody tries to politicize this post with comment like "what about the soldiers, when they're giving their lives only to have people protest?" Or don't try the religious lecture of" how do you think Jesus feels?" The answer is, however he wants to feel I guess. I am obviously writing this post with a facetious tone and if you don't get that then you're not that cool anyway, and if you defy me you will pay. maybe not pay, but I'll probably just erase your comment. If there is any lesson to learn here it's that you should probably do good things because it's the right thing to do. It sometimes is a true sacrifice and that means you don't get Jack back in return. But Who really cares if you get your story in Boys' Life. Screw you Boys' Life. your name kind of sound like a dirty mag anyway.

3 comments:

  1. The world needs more heros like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I just had to leave a message. I don't know you and I happend upon your blog by pure accident. I just thought this was wonderfully waggish.I agree with the other comment the world does need more like you. you might be the only one who dosen't notice that. thank you

    ReplyDelete